Sunday, May 3, 2009

About Masking and Layering

This is a fairly complicated painting with many layers over-lapping the other. With watercolors, at least in this particular case, I do not want to be painting over areas that have already been painted (you can do that with oils and acrylics). In order to keep all layers fresh and distinct, I will use masking fluid (one brand is called "Frisket").
And this is where some planning comes in. First I will paint the cherry blossoms, laying in the pinks. Once that has dried thoroughly, I will add some of the green leaves and some branches. While waiting for that to dry, I can start painting some of the other less complicated ares that don't involve layering.
OK, back to the trees......once totally dry, (and I do mean TOTALLY or the paper will adher and rip when the mask is removed) I'll apply masking fluid very carefully to all the areas that I have painted. By doing this, those areas become protected. Once that has dried, I can paint the areas behind the trees, like the building. I'll be working from the foreground to the background. I may even mask other layers, but my main concern right now involves the cherry trees.
Masking is also a great way to create crisp edges and lines. It is especially nice when doing window panes, picket fences, lettering and for saving the whites in tiny areas that might otherwise get painted over. I'll be doing a fair amount of this type of masking as well.
It's fun when it's time to remove the mask. I'll use either my fingers or a "pickup".... it reminds me in a small way of "pulling a print" off a press...you're pretty sure what you will see, but it's always a little surprising too.

There was a very nice article in the April 23 issue of the Pittsfield Gazette about this project...I have it posted on my website. Here is the URL if anyone would like to read it:
http://margebride.com/Pitt-Gazette-4-23-09.htm
Tomorrow, Monday May4, I start painting in the library. I'll be running a little slide presentation continually so visitors can see the process, all my sketches and preliminary studies will be on display, and of course, I'll be there to not only paint, but to answer any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment