Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Not Done Yet!

The painting may be completed, however, that doesn’t mean the project is. Fortunately for me I love jig saw puzzles, because the next steps require some skill in that area, plus a LOT of patience.

Scanning
At the end of Day 10, I took the completed painting home in order to scan it. The painting is about 18” x 28”, but the surface on my scanner bed is only 8” x 12”. It is also important to overlap each scanned image by many inches. It required 10 different scans in order to include the entire painting, scanned in at 300 dpi. Each piece is about 25 Mbytes.
Here are the individual pieces that will have to be reassembled. Some of this will be done tomorrow (Day 11) in the library on my laptop so anyone who is interested in the final high tech stage can see it "morphed" before your eyes.


You may ask why should I bother with this tedious process when I have taken a high resolution digital photograph? Good question. The quality of a photo (which has to deal with atmosphere, camera movement, lighting inconsistencies, distortion, etc.) cannot compare to a scan, which is a first generation reproduction without any of the camera issues. And if reproductions are to be enlarged and printed on fine art paper, the difference is amazing. A scan done correctly looks just like an original painting.


No comments:

Post a Comment